Department of Spatial- and Environmental Planning

Studying in Europe


Studying abroad within Europe can be funded by the ERASMUS+ programme. It offers students the possibility to stay in a European country for one or two terms.

Advantages of the ERASMUS programme are: 

Ξ   Elimination of the study fees of the host university

Ξ   Financial support of the students

Ξ   Acknowledgement of the passed courses on the basis of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).

Overview on the partner universities

Here you download an overview about the existing cooperations and the number of the places which are available to you.


Here you find detailed information about studying and staying at the partner universities.


Here you can receive tips and suggestions on the way to your partner university, from the application to the language requirements up to the financing.

November 2017ERASMUS+ information event
15th December 2017

Application deadline for ERASMUS+ places (register on the IPS list)

31st January 2018Deadline for registration and upload of all application documents on Mobility Online*
February 2018

Choice and announcement of the ERASMUS+ scholarship holders by the Department of Spatial an Environmental Planning

from March 2018Official registration at the foreign university (The exact date depends on the respective foreign university)

from September 2018, respectively February 2019

Start of the ERASMUS+ exchange

Free movers

As an alternative to the ERASMUS+ programme you can take part in an exchange programme as a free mover.

Internal free movers

If you are planning to study at a European university which does not have an arrangement with the Faculty of Spatial and Environmental Planning or if the places are already taken you have the possibility to apply via another faculty (e.g. architecture).

  • The other faculty has still free places.
  • The ERASMUS co-ordinator of the other faculty is willing to arrange the exchange of the Free Mover with the partner university.
  • The choosen partner university accepts the Free Mover outside the subjects area.

Important advice: Universities in Great Britain usually do not accept Free Movers; in Spain 50% of the applicants are declined.

on exchange possibilities with other faculties at the TU Kaiserslautern you can find here.

on the ERASMUS+ coordinators of the other faculties of TU Kaiserslautern you can find here.

External free movers

Students, who don't want or can't do their studies abroad within a exchange programme from the University (missing cooperation agreement, no free places), can organize their stay at a host university of their choice on their own.

Potential funding possibilities are the Auslands-Bafög (among others up to 4.600€ for study fees) as well as the annual scholarship programmes of the DAAD. You have to pay the study fees of the host university yourself.

You should start at least 1,5 years before your stay abroad to plan it to make sure that no application deadlines for scholarships are missed. You can apply at any foreign university.


  • Inform yourself on the homepage of your prefered university (key words can be: "Study Abroad", "Non-degree seeking students" or "occasional students")


  • contact the "International Office" of your prefered university 

Advice: In countries with study fees the chances are quite good. (e.g., Australia, the USA, Canada, Great Britain). But also in countries like France, Spain and Italy the inquiry is worth it despite lower study fees.

An overview about planning relevant universities in Europe you can find here.



General information for studying abroad you find in the area of International Affairs (ISGS).

Get in contact with our partner universities with the ERASMUS Scout-programme!

Zum Seitenanfang