Department of Spatial- and Environmental Planning

Studying worldwide

If you wish to go abroad worldwide although no cooperation agreement exists with that university this is possible as a so-called "Free Mover". In the following you can find more information and tips how to organize the stay abroad on your own.

Faculty contacts with international universities

An overview on the faculty contacts worldwide can be found here.

External support for studying abroad worldwide

  • IEC

IEC  is a free information and application service for studying in Canada, the USA, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Spain and Great Britain. IEC is the offical representation of numerous universities of the these countries and has also provided advices since 2001.


College-contact can assist in planning studying at currently more than 100 colleges in 25 countries. The services are free for you.

  • Institut Ranke-Heinemann

The Ranke-Heinemann Studienstiftung whose roots go back till 1969 supports studying in Down Under as well as the development of the scientific relations between Australia/New Zealand and Germany/Austria. In this context they offer several scholarships programmes a year.

The support encloses the payment of study fees for especially talented students as well as financial support of flights and costs of living. In addition, scholarships fund costs for language certificates (among others TOEFL and IELTS).

On the web pages of the DAAD  you can find an overview on study programmes abroad and study programmes.

  • DAAD

The DAAD awards annual scholarships to top-performing students for a self-organised study abroad. However, the technical and linguistic requirements for a DAAD scholarship are very high. 
You find further information about it here as well as at the Departement of International Affairs (ISGS).


A further possible fund for studying abroad is PROMOS. You can find more information here.


The initiative for transparent study support informs about foreign scholarships. You can find further information here.

  • Otto A. Wipprecht Scholarship

The Otto A. Wipprecht Foundation offers scholarships for studying in the USA and in other countries. This year, the foundation supports female and male candiates. The foundation pays a monthly rate of 1000$ and takes over travel costs one-time up to 770€, additional costs are at your own expense. If you are interested and from the Department of Spatial and Environmental Planning please contact Jonas Pauly.

  • GOstralia 

GOstralia is a representation of Australian universities in Germany and contact partner for studying or doing a language course in "Down-Under". The services are for free.

  • Weakness-Scholarship: Australia

The "Weakness-Scholarship" promotes students who stand by their weaknesses or converted them into strengths. The scholarship includes a fully-financed 4-weeks language course at Kewarra Beach in Cairns, Australia including course fees, flights, accommodation, meals and 400 € pocket money. The scholarships are awarded independently from grades, semesters and studies. More information can be found here.

  • Studium-Downunder 

Studium-Downunder is an other free agency which supports studying in Australia and New Zealand.

  • GOzealand

GOzealand is a representation of the universities of New Zealand in Germany and contact partner for for studying or doing a language course. The services are for free.

  • Dream New Scholarship: New Zealand

The "Dream NEW" scholarship promotes students who are cosmopolitan, have big dreams and would like to realize these dreams during a semester abroad in New Zealand.  25 "Dream NEW" scholarships with the total value of 69.000€, allow each student to study at one of 10 top universities of New Zealand. For further information click here.

  • Studium-Downunder 

Studium-Downunder is an other free agency which supports studying in Australia and New Zealand.

  • Fulbright Commission Scholarship

The Fulbright commission awards travel scholarships for the USA to full-time Master and PhD students. The support is bound to studying at least 6 - 9 months at an American university starting in the American "Fall-Term" in August/September. Please inform yourself about the exact application rules and the necessary documents on the Fulbright-Homepage. The application terms for the travel studentships generally end mid January, 2017.


I have received a Free Mover place , what's next?

A soon as you have got in contact with your favourite university and chosen the courses, you should get in contact with the international co-ordinator of your faculty at home (Prof. Karina Pallagst or Beate Caesar) and clarify if the courses you want to follow will be awarded with credits at your home university.

Further questions?
For further questions on the subject "Free Mover" please contact the Departement of International Affairs.


Go to top